Saturday, June 14, 2014

Day 7 - Must be a Post Friday-the-13th-Super-Full-Moon kind of thing

June 14th, 2014

I partied too hard at the Giants game last night. The big and yellow honey moon, the huge flock of seagulls, the crazy 9th inning and the spectacular fireworks at AT&T Park took me home at 2am. My body woke up at 7am but my mind did not. Usually, it's the other way around but today it's different. Today my body remembered its scheduled morning run. My mind couldn't decide what to do. It was either a scheduled 10 miles or however far I could run, safely.

It was relatively late when I set out to my local trail. The sun was high and the heat was on the rise. I blamed myself for not following Haruki's advice. When you decide to be a runner, there are things you have to sacrifice, like give up socializing and go to bed at 10pm every night. Even if my body pumps all the endorphins to my head, it could not be saved from cloudiness.

It was a busy Saturday morning. I saw water stops, signage and many people dressed in red and orange tees and kids with their mommies and strollers walked in two or three across. There were bicycle riders zooming by at about 20mph in a 15mph zone full of pedestrians. Hot. Crowded. Noisy. I could not find my thoughts, my inspiration. I kept trotting along at a very easy and slow pace.

At the 5 mile mark, my phone rang. I let it ring. As soon as the ringing stops, it decided to dial someone and a 911 operator answered, "911, where's your exact location?" I had to get my phone out of my homemade sock armband, "I'm sorry my phone dialed 911 on accident." Unbelievable! My crazy device!

I continued on running, checking my heart rate every now and then because I had a feeling that somewhere within the first mile, my heart rate monitor and my phone decided to not talk to each other anymore. I got home at an 8mile mark with my heart rate never exceed 165 bmp. It was slow and easy but it was more like slow and hard. I struggled a bit physically and mentally.


No comments:

Post a Comment