Sunday, June 15, 2014

Day 8 - Rest Day!

June 15th, 2014

Maybe I have too many rest days! Yesterday's long run made me feel hungry and I skimmed on my stretches. I did not foam roll my IT bands. Today I paid for it... a little. I was getting restless so in the early evening I decided to take my old-school hardtail out for an easy spin.

Trail rule number one - no motorized vehicles! Of course I saw two people cruising on the trail above speed limit. The guy was using a motorized scooter. The woman was carrying her dog on some kind of two seat motorized scooter as well. I suppose they were doing their workout without working out. The loud sound penetrated the cool air and traveled for miles. It disturbed the peace that the trail provides. I was a little annoyed but then I saw a bunch of little baby geese. And voila!




I wanted to take this opportunity to explore the possible routes for my morning runs. Every little dirt road I saw that seemed to lead somewhere new, I took. I stumbled upon a couple ponds with no water. The earth was so dry and cracked that it gave me a chill. I started thinking about my own skin. My skin could look like that if I don't take care of it. Hydration is the main point. I started feeling bad for the earth. Was I too selfish to only think of hydrating myself? What about all the creatures that lived in that pond? What could I do? It hasn't rained for months in California. We are in a serious drought. The government recommended that we reduce our water usage by 20 percent. The images of Ebay and other suburban households watering the sidewalks flooded my mind. Sadness weighed me down.


My bike kept rolling. The endorphins kicked in. The breeze carried my sadness on her back and traveled far away. 9.5 miles later.


No comments:

Post a Comment